19 October 2017Americas

Amneal and Impax merge to become ‘fifth largest’ generics company

Amneal Pharmaceuticals and Impax Laboratories have agreed to merge, in a deal the companies say will create the fifth largest generics drugs business in the US.

Announcing the news on Tuesday, October 17, the drug makers said the combined company’s revenue will be more than $700 million.

It will also have around 6,500 employees and more than 300 products either filed with the US Food and Drug Administration or in active stages of development.

The Impax name will be lost and the new company will be known as Amneal Pharmaceuticals.

Under the deal, Amneal shareholders will own 75% of the combined company, with Impax shareholders taking the remaining 25%.

Chirag Patel, co-CEO and co-chair of Amneal, said: “This transaction combines the complementary strengths of both Amneal and Impax to create an even stronger company with the diversification, capabilities and resources to deliver enhanced value for patients.”

Paul Bisaro, president and CEO of Impax, added: “By combining Amneal and Impax, we create a more diversified company with one of the industry’s leading high-value generic product pipelines and a growing speciality business.”

Patel and co-founder Chintu Patel will serve as co-chairmen of the board of directors, while Bisaro will become CEO.

Did you enjoy reading this story?  Sign up to our free newsletters and get stories like this sent straight to your inbox.

Already registered?

Login to your account

To request a FREE 2-week trial subscription, please signup.
NOTE - this can take up to 48hrs to be approved.

Two Weeks Free Trial

For multi-user price options, or to check if your company has an existing subscription that we can add you to for FREE, please email Adrian Tapping at atapping@newtonmedia.co.uk


More on this story

Americas
30 April 2018   The Federal Trade Commission is requiring Impax to divest rights and assets for ten products, as part of a settlement resolving charges that Amneal’s $1.45 billion acquisition would be anti-competitive.
Americas
25 May 2018   A judge has found it unlikely that Impax Laboratories would launch a generic drug before a final court decision in related patent litigation and has dismissed a case against the company.
Americas
11 July 2018   The US Federal Trade Commission has issued a final approval of Amneal’s $1.45 billion acquisition of Impax.

More on this story

Americas
30 April 2018   The Federal Trade Commission is requiring Impax to divest rights and assets for ten products, as part of a settlement resolving charges that Amneal’s $1.45 billion acquisition would be anti-competitive.
Americas
25 May 2018   A judge has found it unlikely that Impax Laboratories would launch a generic drug before a final court decision in related patent litigation and has dismissed a case against the company.
Americas
11 July 2018   The US Federal Trade Commission has issued a final approval of Amneal’s $1.45 billion acquisition of Impax.

More on this story

Americas
30 April 2018   The Federal Trade Commission is requiring Impax to divest rights and assets for ten products, as part of a settlement resolving charges that Amneal’s $1.45 billion acquisition would be anti-competitive.
Americas
25 May 2018   A judge has found it unlikely that Impax Laboratories would launch a generic drug before a final court decision in related patent litigation and has dismissed a case against the company.
Americas
11 July 2018   The US Federal Trade Commission has issued a final approval of Amneal’s $1.45 billion acquisition of Impax.